A NovaThreads Lift is a minimally-invasive aesthetic procedure that uses threads placed just under the skin to lift and firm. These threads are biocompatible (not harmful to living tissue) and made from Polydioxanone (PDO), a material long used in the medical field for sutures during surgery. A NovaThread lift uses these subcutaneously-threaded sutures to lift loose skin on the face, jawline, and neck and is eventually naturally absorbed by the body. (1) This treatment offers immediate results. However, after being placed, collagen levels in the treatment area increase for the next 12 weeks, and patients can enjoy their results for a year or more. (2)
Lax skin betrays an otherwise youthful appearance and can add to the frustration of feeling decades younger than you appear. When the image in the mirror feels like a leap forward in time, consider the non-surgical option of a NovaThreads Lift!
Dr. Stanley G. Poulos of Plastic Surgery Specialists, now known as PSS, brings his vast knowledge and experience to the people of the Novato, San Rafael, Fairfax, Mill Valley, and other Marin County communities. In addition, PSS offers a curated selection of the latest rejuvenation technologies, including NovaThreads. Contact our office to schedule a consultation, or call (415) 886-0777. We are also pleased to offer virtual consultations.
Join our practice’s aesthetic community by keeping up with the latest news and innovations and subscribing to our blog.
- 1 About NovaThreads Lift
- 2 How Does a NovaThreads Lift Work?
- 3 What are the Different Types of NovaThreads?
- 4 What are the Benefits of a NovaThreads Lift?
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation at PSS
- 7 The NovaThreads Lift Procedure
- 8 What is the Recovery Time from a NovaThreads Lift?
- 9 NovaThread Lift Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost of a NovaThreads Lift in Marin County and the Bay Area
- 12 References
About NovaThreads Lift
Cumulative facial laxity and volume loss can mean sagging brows and eyelids, nasolabial folds, and the formation of the dreaded jowls. In the meantime, lines and wrinkles creep in. In the past, patients who opted for a surgical facelift to deal with these issues could achieve a fresh, youthful appearance. However, there was a lack of minimally invasive alternatives for those unwilling to go under the knife. (3) There are many ways to revitalize the complexion today, including photorejuvenation, skincare products, and the popular Hydrafacial MD. Addressing facial skin that has lost its lift requires a different approach. NovaThreads Lift allows patients to achieve many of the benefits of a facelift without undergoing a surgical procedure. (4)
How Does a NovaThreads Lift Work?
A NovaThreads Lift is a suture or sutures placed subcutaneously along a plotted course in the treatment area. Sutures are threaded under the skin with a specialized needle. Once in place, the threads can be manipulated as needed, and the sutures are undetectable under the skin’s surface. Not only does a NovaThreads Lift offer subtle but effective skin tightening, but it also triggers the body’s healing response by directing collagen to the treated portions of the face. (1) An increase in collagen production enhances skin’s youthful appearance. In addition, a NovaThreads procedure can be accomplished with the use of a local anesthetic.
What are the Different Types of NovaThreads?
A NovaThreads Lift comes in different textures that provide different results. Smooth threads are placed underneath lined and wrinkled areas of the skin so that the resulting collagen boost smooths and firms the site and diminishes creasing. Textured threads employ tiny protruding spines to grip and lift the tissue to a more youthful position. (2)
What are the Benefits of a NovaThreads Lift?
Many patients find surgery unappealing or are not yet at the stage where they find a full facelift necessary. A NovaThreads Lift is not surgery, so there’s little discomfort, a brief recovery, and no downtime. While a facelift requires heavy sedation, around-the-clock care, and other accommodations, a NovaThreads Lift is a quick procedure that will have you back to your routine that same day. (1)
NovaThreads patients enjoy:
- A fast procedure with fast recovery time
- Minimal discomfort during and post-procedure
- Easy customization and can be focused on multiple areas
- Boosted collagen production
- Easily combined with other procedures
Patients looking for a natural-looking lift to reverse early signs of aging are ideal candidates for a NovaThreads Lift procedure. This procedure is also an excellent alternative to surgery for people of all ages and patients with health conditions that make them ineligible for surgery. (1)
Personal Consultation at PSS
The team at PSS is dedicated to learning more about you and your aesthetic goals, and you’ll have their expert guidance to determine if a NovaThreads Lift will suit your needs. In addition, they will ensure that you understand the ins and outs of the procedure, so that you know exactly what to expect, and what kind of results you can look forward to. During your NovaThreads Lift consultation, you’ll have all your questions answered. Remember, our staff is always here for you! Call us at (415) 886-0777 today, or schedule your personal consultation today.
The NovaThreads Lift Procedure
In just 30 to 45 minutes, a NovaThreads Lift offers patients beautiful results without the need to take time off from work or other activities. Patients can return to their day right after the procedure is complete. (1) Before placing the NovaThreads, a local anesthetic is applied to the treatment areas. We work to maximize patient comfort! Once the targeted areas have become numb, before a small needle-like instrument called a cannula inserts the sutures below the skin. The sutures are secured, the cannula is withdrawn, the excess thread is trimmed below the surface of the skin, and the procedure is complete.
What is the Recovery Time from a NovaThreads Lift?
Patients will look refreshed as they continue their day without missing a beat. Because only local anesthetic is applied, patients are allowed to drive themselves home post-procedure. Some soreness and swelling may occur, but most patients need no more than a few hours to recover from a NovaThreads Lift. Additionally, patients can take mild pain medication if needed.
Observe a few precautions when recovering from this procedure:
- Take care when cleansing your face or applying moisturizer; do not rub the skin vigorously for at least a week.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach or side so as not to apply pressure to your face.
While a NovaThreads Lift is much less intense than a surgical procedure, removal is quick if patients encounter any unwanted effects. After removal, the face will return to its previous appearance.
Patients should have realistic expectations when booking a NovaThreads Lift procedure. While the benefits are natural and beautiful, the threads will only lift the face by millimeters. (1) And while the results of a NovaThreads Lift are not permanent, new sutures can be placed after the previous sutures have been absorbed.
NovaThread Lift Results
NovaThread Lifts are a versatile way to subtly refresh and firm skin and boost collagen production in many areas of the body. Patients love the fact that they can address skin laxity issues in the following areas:
- Upper and Lower Cheeks
- Nasolabial Folds
- Marionette Lines
- Nose Tip
- Inner Thighs
- Belly Button
- Crow’s Feet
- Glabella (between the eyebrows)
- Smokers Lines
- Eyebrow Arch
- Facial Profile
- Periocular Area
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Combine your NovaThreads Lift with another nonsurgical procedure to maximize results! The low-risk and rapid procedure and recovery time of the NovaThreads Lift allow for the additional application of the following treatments and more. (5) We’ll discuss the right combination of procedures during your personal consultation.
- Botox & Jeuveau – neuromodulators decrease the appearance of deep folds in the facial structure.
- Fillers – Hyaluronic Acid gel smooths wrinkles for a boosted volumizing and plumping effect. PSS offers a wide variety of fillers, including Belotero, Volbella, Radiesse, Restylane, Juvéderm, and more!
- Chemical peels – while a NovaThreads Lift reverses skin laxity, it does not affect blemishes or dark spots on the skin’s surface. On the other hand, a peel or Laser Skin Resurfacing (photorejuvenation) leaves skin refreshed and rejuvenated.
Cost of a NovaThreads Lift in Marin County and the Bay Area
We cater to the needs of each patient and will help you determine the extent of NovaThreads required to meet your desired aesthetic goals. Don’t hesitate to contact us for a consultation so we may better help create a customized procedure proposal, including associated expenses.
- Tehrani K. What you need to know about thread lifts. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Published July 31, 2018. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-thread-lifts
- Ha YI, Kim JH, Park ES. Histological and molecular biological analysis on the reaction of absorbable thread; Polydioxanone and polycaprolactone in rat model. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. Published online November 30, 2021. doi:10.1111/jocd.14587
- Abraham, Rima F., et al. “Thread-Lift for Facial Rejuvenation.” Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, vol. 11, no. 3, 1 May 2009, 10.1001/archfacial.2009.10.
- Halepas, Steven, et al. “Thread-Lift Sutures: Anatomy, Technique, and Review of Current Literature.” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 78, no. 5, May 2020, pp. 813–820, 10.1016/j.joms.2019.11.011.
- Lovreglio R, Fabbrocini G, Delfino M. The Nonsurgical Thread Lift for Facial Rejuvenation. Nonsurgical Lip and Eye Rejuvenation Techniques. Published online 2016:85-95. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-23270-6_11